Are you looking for a life altering experience empowering you through fun, utilitarian skills you may never have considered possible before?
If so, this workshop is for you! This fun filled class is designed to:
- give students an opportunity to quickly experience fire through a single session
- help attendees understand how to work with fire safely
- empower individuals to both extinguish and wield fire
- teach a few basic moves and a ton of fire safety information
- give you an adrenaline rush
- be a whole lot of fun!
The class is divided into four sections:
- Part I: Poi Class: this part is movement based and focuses on learning poi technique. Generally, this session is 75-105 minutes, depending on attendance. This session requires open space large enough to accommodate each student which we estimate to be about 70 square feet per student, ideally with 12.5′ ceiling clearance.
- Part II: Fire Safety: this consists of a discussion about the key elements of fire safety as it relates to spinning fire. This includes information about fabrics, fuels, testing fabric and understanding how to create a safe environment in which to spin fire. This session lasts between 55-75 minutes, depending on context and attendance.
- Part III, Fire Handling: during this section, students will adorn themselves in fire safe clothing and work through a series of exercises where they will handle the fire. During this time, every student will extinguish the fire at least once so they will have the confidence of knowing they can and have smothered a fire. Students are encouraged to read our fire safety manual prior to class so they can be fully informed and get any questions that arise answered in the class. This section is done outdoors in a fire safe area. Time varies to complete this section based on number of attendees and their general comfort with fire, ranging from 45 – 100 minutes.
- Part IV, Wielding Fire: during this section, students will spin fire at least once each. Students will spin up to 3 minutes each, a rather lengthy time for someone who is new to poi spinning. Students will also learn how to prep and fuel their props prior to spinning and will practice fire safety protocols with each other, including extinguishing fire as needed. This section takes 40-90 minutes depending on attendance.
Andrew Watterson, a student of this workshop, said:
“Great class. I was really impressed with how quickly she got us having fun and feeling successful. It was quite a treat to be introduced to something new in such a relaxed but action-packed way.”
Who should attend?
This course is ideal for people who:
- are interested in trying fire dancing as quickly as possible
- want to experience the thrill of fire rushing around their body
- prefer to gain confidence overcoming obsticles in a safe and supportive enviornment
- looking for a fun activity to do with friends
- are tourists interested in a uniquely san francisco expeirnece
- gather as families looking to bond over something new together
- create company and department team building events
- host bachelorette, engagement, bat/bar mitzvah, wedding, shower, engagement and/or birthday parties
- attend CxO retreats
- seek a life altering empowerment experience that’s fun and utilitarian
- want to overcome trauma with fire
- want to complete the material from our Beginner Fire class in one night
But… I could never do that!
Don’t think you can do this? Check out GlitterGirl on the Travel
Channel’s Trip Flip, San Francisco Edition teaching two strangers how to spin in under an hour.
There are several options for this workshop, so read the information below and find the one that is perfect for you.
If you’re new to poi or have only picked them up a few times and want to experience fire spinning, this session is for you. We will meet for 2.5-3 hours total, including a short 10-15 minute break in the middle. Part one of the session will focus on the skills of manipulating the poi so that you will be able to actually do something with the props when you light them on fire. This section will be about 80 minutes. Part 2 will focus on fire safety training, during which time we will educate you about fuel, fabric, do’s and don’ts of working with fire and answer any of those questions you need to understand before putting you in front of the flames. This will take 40-60 minutes, as it is an abbreviated version of our fire safety lecture since we have such a controlled environment. The final portion of the class will take about 20-30 minutes, during which time the student both extinguishes fire and spins fire, getting an up close and personal feel for the experience.
- Tuition: $375
- Materials fee: $0
If you’re new to poi or have only picked them up a few times and want to experience fire spinning in a 2 -4 person group, the small group session is for you. We will meet for up to 4 hours total, including two breaks totaling about 20 minutes. Part one of the session will focus on the skills of manipulating the poi so that you will be able to actually do something when you set the tools on fire. This will be about 90 minutes. Part 2 of the session will focus on fire safety training, during which time we will educate you about fuel, fabric, do’s and don’ts of working with fire. This will take 40-60 minutes, as it is an abbreviated version of our fire safety lecture since we have such a controlled environment. Part 3 of the class will last between 30 minutes and an hour, depending on how many questions arise during the extinguishing practice. Students will extinguishes fire and spin fire, getting an up close and personal feel for the experience.
- Tuition: $450 for 4 students
- Materials fee: $10 (total)
On Site Fire Dancing Party Experience
Make your next event sizzle with a fire dancing experience for the guests. We will design the class based on your specific needs, location and available space. Below is a table outlining a few commonly selected options. Please note, additional fees may apply for venues outside of San Francisco or for larger scale engagements not outlined below. We will bring the props to your venue so all your guests have to do is show up and have fun. Note: All quotes in the table below assume non-fire classes. Additional options are available for commensurate fees.
|Casual class: non formalized training on as needed basis when guests ask questions for 45 minutes) followed by set up and demonstration (30 minutes total, 15 for setup, 15 for performance with fire)||1:15hr||$550 for 2 instructors and performers|
|Sunset Gathering: 2-3 20-40 minute formal classes offered over a 2-3 hours period, culminating in a performance at sunset.||2.5-3 hrs||$875 for 2 instructors and performers|
|Company picnic: a combination of casual and formal instruction for 3-4 20-40 minute classes offered over a 2-3 hour period||2.5-3 hrs||$625 for 2 instructor|
|Vivacious Vibe Squad: 2-4 artists roaming through an event with glow and/or fabric toys, possibly inclusive of a performance||starts at 1 hour||varies depending on desired level of skill of artists|
|Collaborative Performances: we will work with you to co-create the perfect performance, be it background dancers for a video, ensemble dancers for your piece, static dancing in one spot for a period of time or some other awesome idea you may have||starts at 1 hour||varies depending on desired level of skill of artists as well as the nature of the performance art and number of artists|
Large Groups & Team Building
For groups of people interested in being introduced to fire for the first time who are new to poi and fire, the large group session is for you. We will meet for up to 4-6 hours tota depending on the number of people in your group. Large group sessions will be structured like smaller sessions though, for safety reasons, we will increase the number of instructors as necessary to support the number of people in the group. We will have multiple breaks and, depending on the size of the group, we may split the fire spinning portion up over multiple sessions that will have limited attendance per session, depending on what makes sense. Part one of the session will focus on the skills of manipulating the poi so that you will be able to actually do something when you set the tools on fire. This will be about 90 minutes. Part 2 of the session will focus on fire safety training, during which time we will educate you about fuel, fabric, do’s and don’ts of working with fire. This will take 40-60 minutes, as it is an abbreviated version of our fire safety lecture since we have such a controlled environment. Part 3 of the class will last between 60 minutes and several hours depending on number of attendees and quantity of questions that arise during the extinguishing practice. Students will extinguishes fire and spin fire, getting an up close and personal feel for the experience.
- Tuition: $$750 for 5-8 students $1000 for 9-12 students; for larger groups, please contact GlitterGirl <at> TempleOfPoi <daught> com for a quote as this will require space rental and discussion to determine what fits your needs best
- Materials fee: $5 per person
For larger groups, please inquire directly with GlitterGirl (email her at GlitterGirl (that pretty little at sign) TempleOfPoi (daaaaaaught) com).