Register here with your non refundable $120 tuition for 4 classes, 80 minutes, Tuesdays at 8 PM, June 2, 9, 16 & 23, 2020
Other registration options below.
Drop in Students: contact GlitterGirl to make tuition arrangements
This series only: non refundable $120 tuition.
|Zoom based Intermediate+ Poi Fire Dancing Boot Camp 7 month program, first of 7 non-refundable tuition payments of $100.|
- Live Sessions: Students will be taught new material and will receive feedback on their progress while learning it
- Zoom Videos: Full paying series students receive access to the Zoom recordings of all of the classes (regardless of attendance); Drop-In and Boot Camp students receive access to the Zoom recordings of the classes they attended. Students may download these videos to play over and over as a learning reference.
- When: 80 minutes per session, 1x a week, 8 PM Pacific Tuesdays in 2020: June 2, 9, 16 & 23.
- Where: Classes will be held over Zoom
- Who: 9-10+ year old able-bodied humans with space enough to spin 2 objects the length of their arms around them who have access to reliable network connectivity over Zoom. Students should be familiar with at least the Beginner Poi Moves class material.
Is this for me?
Want to level up your poi skills with one of the most prolific and never ending opportunities for growth, and fun-filled poi geekery? Looking to expand your skills with flowers?
This class is designed to be repeated many times, each time taking a deeper cut at the practice and delineating more complex patterns requiring more hand independent skills. This is a mixed level class for both those new to flowers, antispin, wall plane, hybrids, and lockouts as well as those who are interested in expanding their repertoire in this arena. For the neophytes, this 4 week series introduces artists to concepts that will expand the artist’s repertoire for months, if not years while allowing advanced students deeper access down specific rabbit holes.
This course begins with the basic concepts of flowers — side, front, back, floor and ceiling planes — and continues building on variations on this theme, tying together the flowers, barrel rolls and lockouts (using spin and antispin as appropriate) with buzzsaw fountains, wall plane weaves and combinations to integrate the moves into your practice.
Not sure you know what flowers are? Here’s a poi spinning video featuring flowers, antispin, CAPs and hybrids heavily in the early part of the video and then interspersed throughout the flow in the later part of the video.
For those who are already indoctrinated into the world of flowers, we will work on more advanced flowers integrating antispin, 3D, hybrids, CAPs, goofy flowers, swivels turns, and other patterns to expand on basic flower, antispin and wall plane concepts.
The series is a mixed level class where we will start with a basic concept and continue to build on it throughout each class and the series overall which means we run multiple curriculums at once. Students are invited to take the class at their own pace and we adjust the material to accommodate each student’s needs. This series will continue to expand on the concepts by working with turns and combinations that integrate the recently acquired moves.
- Drop-in: $35 per night drop-in if space allows (must take night one to attend any of the subsequent nights or have prior approval from GlitterGirl); please contact GlitterGirl to see if space is available the night(s) you wish to attend and to arrange tuition payments; or
- $30 a class when you buy the whole 4 night series ($120) paid below; or
- 1 intermediate credit on the beginner poi fire dancing boot camp or Zoom-Based Beginner Poi Dancing Boot Camp or Zoom-Based Intermediate+ Poi Dancing Boot Camp package for each night attended (please note if only one person on a Study Buddy Discount attends, it counts as a credit)
Register for this 4 week series here with your non refundable $120 tuition.
|Register for the *Zoom-Based Beginner Poi Dancing Boot Camp: (includes Beginner Poi Moves) By clicking this link you agree to make 7 payments of $125 regardless of your attendance at each session. The first payment may be made using this link on or before June 2, 2020. The additional 6 payments are due to GlitterGirl by the 15th of each month from July, 2020 until and including December 15, 2020. This payment is non refundable.
|Register for the *Study Buddy Discount Zoom-Based Beginner Poi Dancing Boot Camp: (includes Beginner Poi Moves) By clicking this link you agree to make 7 payments of $188 (for access granted to 2 people in 1 zoom window) regardless of your or your study buddy’s attendance at each session, you get the zoom recording for the session and that counts as a credit. The first payment may be made using this link on or before June 2, 2020. The additional 6 payments are due to GlitterGirl by the 15th of each month from July, 2020 until and including December 15, 2020. This payment is non refundable.
|Register for the *Zoom-Based Intermediate+ Poi Dancing Boot Camp:(not including beginner poi moves) By clicking this link you agree to make 7 payments of $100 regardless of your attendance at each session. The first payment may be made using this link on or before June 2, 2020. The additional 6 payments are due to GlitterGirl by the 15th of each month from July, 2020 until and including December 15, 2020. This payment is non refundable.
|Register for the *Study Buddy Discount Zoom-Based Intermediate+ Poi Dancing Boot Camp: (includes Beginner Poi Moves) By clicking this link you agree to make 7 payments of $150 (for access granted to 2 people in 1 zoom window) regardless of your or your study buddy’s attendance at each session, you get the zoom recording for the session and that counts as a credit. The first payment may be made using this link on or before June 2, 2020. The additional 6 payments are due to GlitterGirl by the 15th of each month from July, 2020 until and including December 15, 2020. This payment is non refundable.
* If you have not taken the Beginner Poi Moves Series yet, sign up for the $125/month version which includes credits for that. If you have taken the series, sign up for the discounted $100/month boot camp plan.
Explore the content of these classes through the videos below which provide an understanding of the content covered in classes: Flowers, Antispin, Hybrids, Wall Planes, Lockouts, CAPs The following video provides some examples of beginner patterns taught in these sessions: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oVnw1Mi9dfM
More advanced students will explore concepts that build in the fundamentals distinguished in the beginner curriculum.
As a reminder, this and all classes at Temple of Poi are taught with the Flowology Mindset practiced rigorously.
- Is the Zoom Class the same as watching free videos on YouTube?
- No, not at all. A YouTube video will always say the same thing at the 3 minute time code whereas live classes, while intended to teach the same material, are responsive to students needs and structured specifically to meet students where they are in their practice. As educators, our job is to communicate in the language each student needs rather than saying the same thing and assuming everyone will understand it. To that end, we present the information in various ways until it clicks with the practitioner.
- Will I get personalized feedback on what I’m doing while the class is running?
- Yes! Part of the variations in content lesson to lesson comes from the specific feedback offered to each student. Where you might be able to turn left when everyone is turning right in a Modern, Jazz or Hip-Hop class with little to no impact, it’s often the case that a misstep in poi means a bop in the face, making it much harder to fake it.
- Can I ask questions?
- Yes — and we encourage it! Unlike some dance classes where you are anonymous in the back of the room with little or no relationship to the teacher and your peers, we strive to create a community wherein people are honored as individuals with different strengths and weaknesses. Each class opens with a check-in and questions so we can share our experiences: if you’ve got that question, chances are, other people have had that same question too. We also do checkins throughout the class where people can ask questions that are specific to the material we are learning.
- How can you give everyone feedback while teaching a group?
- In short, we’ve set this up like a dance studio. Instead of using mirrors, we have two cameras for the instructor. One camera offers the back view as the spotlighted camera during the teaching section. In front of the teacher is a large screen with the students on it in “Brady Bunch” squares which allows the teacher to see the students real time and offer feedback to everyone while the students are watching the teacher from behind for ease of modeling the new material.
- Do I have to practice outside of class?
- While a small percentage of students do progress simply by attending class and being attentive, that is very rare. If you’re interested in success in the practice, we recommend at least 3 20 minute sessions outside of class per week. As with most things in life, the more you put into it, the more you’ll get out of it.
- I’m not sure how I’ll do with the practice. Do I need to invest in expensive poi to try this?
- No! In fact, we recommend you make your first set out of household items that are soft and, as you gain excitement and confidence, acquire more fun poi tools. Hundreds of students have purchased LED poi as a reward when they achieve a particular set of goals in their practice, which ensures the investment is a smart one. Before making a purchase, please confer with us for a product recommendation. Not all LED poi are created equally and the less expensive ones often end up in the landfill because they’re often low quality.
- I’m uncoordinated and have two left feet. I’m drawn to it, but can someone like me really do this?
- Yes! You can! The short answer is that the way we teach is designed to help you, step by step, get from being a dork (let’s face it, you will hit yourself and feel like a dork in the beginning) to finding your flow with a curriculum that helps you build the skills you need. Here’s a longer answer from GlitterGirl talking about some transformational experiences students had with poi over the years.
- Students are welcome to bring a video camera to record sessions for personal use only.
- They may NOT be distributed to others, including your fellow students (without prior authorization of your instructor), in any way, nor posted on the internet or sold.
- You will need to have your own practice poi, or you can purchase a set from us.
- Practice poi, if you need them, are available for $10 cash
- Subscribe to glittergirl’s Instagram channel for ongoing motivation and examples of what we do in class.
- Enjoy free lessons at YouTube.com/GlitterGirlPoi.
- Want to teach a friend how to poi? Pass it on — they can get a free download of our 20 minute corkscrew lesson here at GotFireDancing.com.