Ignite your inner flame this spring with fire dancing as you light the long nights, have fun, meditate, exercise, express yourself and co-create a welcoming community while you develop some impressive party tricks too! Begin your journey to learn poi fire dancing by getting started with this offering, the first in our Beginner Poi class series. Beginner Poi Moves 6-week series teaches over 40 different moves and combinations plus 25 different drills to support your practice. This class is appropriate for those with absolutely no experience through early beginners with a few moves but not a lot of vocabulary, comprehension, technique and confidence. If you have no experience, this class is for you. If you have limited experience then this class is probably for you — contact GlitterGirl (glittergirl [that pretty little at sign] templeofpoi [daaaaaaught] com) to set up your free assessment to see where you fit in our curriculum.
(Updated March 22, 2020)
Note: Due to the current C19 mandates for shelter in place, physical social isolation, and given the limitations of the studio lacking the ability to maintain 6 feet at all times, until further notice, classes will be held over Zoom. We have successfully run several real time classes this way thus far with outstanding results. It is set up so the teacher has two logins to Zoom where one of them shows the students in front of them on a huge TV to offer direct feedback on what they students are executing and the other is a view of the teacher from behind doing the movements, allowing students to more easily model the material. Full paying students receive access to the Zoom recording of the class to play over and over as a learning reference as well as access to our Beginner Moves Video Training series which offers more compact video lessons without specific feedback for each student.
- Time/Dates: 8 PM PT Mondays in 2020: 3.30, 4.6, 4.13, 4.20, 4.27 & 5.4
- Each of the classes meets for 80 minutes, one time per week.
- Location: Classes will be held over Zoom Video conference until further notice. If it’s practical, classes will return to the the Temple of Poi Studio (but students should plan to attend via zoom all 6 sessions)
Each class is divided into the following class structure:
- 15 min: check-in & accountability circle, questions, review
- 55 min: new move clinic, individual work, drills, practice
- 10 min: homework assignments, notes, review, cool down
Here’s a course preview video.
This course provides instruction for the beginner poi dancers. During each class, new concepts will be introduced in the “new move clinic” which are then reinforced during the remainder of the class. The first two classes focus on the fundamentals of poi movement. The next four classes cover the chasing the sun, stalls, corkscrew, pinwheel, butterfly and weave moves as well as extensive variations of these moves. All moves are taught in both directions for maximum learning. To assist your learning process, you can purchase educational videos from our library. For those who know they are committed to a poi practice, consider joining the Temple of Poi Beginner Poi Boot Camp program which offers a 20% discount on 7 months worth of classes.
- Students are encouraged to bring a video camera to record sessions for personal use only. They may NOT be distributed to others, including your fellow students (without prior authorization of your instructor), in any way, nor posted on the internet or sold.
- You will need to have your own practice poi, or you can purchase a set from us (available the night class begins).
- Tuition for this class is $180 ($80 non refundable deposit, $100 due in cash the first night of the class).
- Practice poi are $10
- Payment plans are available so please inquire with us directly (email glittergirl ; templeofpoi ; com)
- Join our mailing list here and keep up to date on classes, events, performances, jams as well as articles and videos to support your learning.
- Support your learning through free and paid for videos in our Beginner Poi Video Library.
- Class will be taught by GlitterGirl.
|Register here with your non refundable $180 deposit.||Beginner Poi Fire Dancing Boot Camp: By clicking this link you agree to make 7 payments of $125 regardless of your attendance at each session. The first payment may be made using this link on or before March 30, 2020. The additional 6 payments are due in cash directly to GlitterGirl or through the mail slot at Temple of Poi by the 15th of each month from April, 2020 until and including September 15, 2020. This payment is non refundable.