Are you looking to add more flowers into your poi dance flow? Trying to figure out new transition to access more of your move set? Perhaps you simply want to get started with flowers?
We have just the remedy — this class is loads of fun and is highly recommended for intermediate and advanced students who want to take their flower skills to the next level.
Join us for this 4 week flower series meeting at 8 pm Tuesdays at Lines Ballet (26, 7th Street, 5th floor, studio 4, San Francisco) on 7/5, 7/12, 7/19 and 7/26.
For those familiar with flowers, we will create combinations of movements moving between those flowers and other moves you already do, creating flower based combinations to learn like moves. this will include more advanced flowers integrating antispin into the repertoire, focusing on goofy flowers, hybrids, CAPS, swivels and other patterns to expand on basic inspin, antispin and wall plane concepts.
For those who have never taken flowers before, you will work on the moves that are being taught in the combinations. The 4 week series presents artists concepts that will expand their repertoire for months, if not years. Those new to flowers can expect an introduction to some of these basic flower concepts on all three planes.
Class will be held in a huge studio with high ceilings. The series is a mixed level class where we will start with a basic concept and continue to build on it throughout each class and the series overall. Students are invited to take the class at their own pace and we adjust the material to accommodate each student’s needs. This series will continue to expand on the concepts by working with turns and combinations that integrate the recently acquired moves.
- $35 cash at the door per night drop-in if space allows (must take night one to attend any of the subsequent nights or have prior approval from GlitterGirl) or
- $30 a class when you buy the whole series
- 1 intermediate credit on the beginner boot camp package for each night attended
Provide your $60 tuition deposit (non refundable but transferrable with 8 days notice) to register now and bring the balance ($60) in cash the first night of class.
Some scholarships available. Please inquire with GlitterGirl directly (GlitterGirl TempleOfPoi com) for details.
Explore the content of these classes through the videos below which provide an understanding of the content covered in classes:
- Wall Planes
Here’s an improv video I shot in one take last night demonstrating the concept to a new song. None of this is choreographed. The objective is to help you achieve this level of access to this variety of moves with even more ease and style than I demonstrate here.
More advanced students will explore concepts that build in the fundamentals distinguished in the beginner curriculum. This video provides additional examples of some of the intermediate concepts. Please note, we endeavor to empower the students through a combination of theoretical and practical knowledge. Each class is different with us meeting the students where they are at because we teach material based on who is in attendance rather than being overly confined by a rigid curriculum that doesn’t meld to the moment.
As a reminder, this and all classes at Temple of Poi are taught with the Flowology Mindset practiced rigorously.
- Students are welcome to bring a video camera to record sessions for personal use only. They may NOT be distributed to others, including your fellow students (without prior authorization of your instructor), in any way, nor posted on the internet or sold.
- You will need to have your own practice poi, or you can purchase a set from us.
- Practice poi, if you need them, are available for $20 cash
- Join our mailing list here and keep up to date on classes, events, performances, jams as well as articles and videos to support your learning.
- Enjoy free lessons at YouTube.com/GlitterGirlPoi.
- Want to teach a friend how to poi? Pass it on — they can get a free download of our 20 minute corkscrew lesson here at GotFireDancing.com.
- Invest in your own video library through our paid for videos in our Beginner Poi Video Lesson Library, Beginner Poi 5.5 Hour Video Course, Intermediate Courses, and Individual Lessons.