Looking to level up your poi skills this Spring & Summer? Join Temple of Poi for the 2015 Summer Poi Intermediate / Advanced Boot Camp.
At the beginning of each session, we will assess where students are at, suggest different possible content and based on the feedback of the students present that night, we will co-create a fun learning experience where everyone grows their skills.
- Space is limited so students are encouraged to sign up for the series rather than drop in.
- We are looking for a committed group of practitioners who wish to study throughout the spring and summer and work on the concepts described herein.
- This program covers the tuition for 19 group classes being held between May 4, 2015 and August 17, 2015 and one 20 minute private to be used by August 19, 2015 .
- Students attending 12 sessions or less should pay the drop in rate or use the Punch Card option rather than joining the boot camp. Students who can attend 13 or more sessions will benefit financially through this program.
- Full Boot Camp: For students attending the whole series, tuition is reduced from the regular rate of $614 total ($44 for the private and $570 total for the group classes) for all 19 sessions plus the 20 minute private to $400 total paid in 4 payments of $100 (deposit below, remaining payments due in cash) on or before the 15th of June, July and August.
- Punch Card (10 class pass): For students using the Punch Card option, you will have a punch card good for 10 sessions from the series. Please note, students can not drop in to classes 3 or 4 of a series without having taken one of the first two classes without prior approval from GlitterGirl. For the Flow Down Performance Workshop, students may only drop into class one OR attend the full series, but may not drop in on the other classes since they require attendance at the previous session. Tuition is reduced from 10 x $30 = $300 total for all 10 sessions to $200 total payable in 4 payments of $50 made on or before May 4, June 15, July 15 and August 15. The initial payment may be paid with the link below and the remaining payments are due in cash to GlitterGirl (or under the door at Temple of Poi) by the 15th of June-August.
- Note: All payments are due for package discounts even if student does not attend the classes!
This boot camp will have the following areas of focus:
- 5/4 – Size matters (2 weeks)
- 5/6 – Flowers (4 weeks)
- 6/1 – Funky Foot Flow (1 week)
- 6/3 – Transition Flair (4 weeks)
- 7/22 – Behind the Waist Wrap (4 weeks)
- 7/27 – Flow Down Performance Workshop (4 weeks)
- Size Matters: this two night series focuses on big moves and little moves as well as the use of size with the props and body movements. The class will cover buzz saws and variants as well as giants, extensions and variants with both of these. This will be the least demanding material in the summer boot camp series and is intended to help beginning students transition to the next level of spinning.
- Flowers: this 4 week poi class series focuses on flowers, C-CAPs, antispin, hybrids, lockouts, wall plane movement and more. This class will be taught in mixed levels and students can choose between tracks to suit their current level of knowledge. The series focuses on drills, moves and combinations utilizing the moves, as appropriate for each student. Students will benefit greatly from taking this series more than once.
- Funky Foot Flow & Poi Combos: in this session students provide a series of moves GlitterGirl will then transform into a combination utilizing what the practitioners bring to the class. The dynamic generation of combinations makes for a unique experience each time personalized based on those attending that night.
- Transition Flair: this 4 week series focuses moves that add a little pizzaz to your performance although often very brief in duration including stalls, under the leg, tosses, floats, tangles, plane breaking, pendulums and other fun stuff. While it’s true that all intermediate sessions present many concepts, this series offers more concepts per class than most series so be sure to bring a camera to shoot video and preserve quality notes.
- Behind the Waist Wrap: develop your back plane technique in this 4 week series extending your repertoire in behind the back weaves, waist wraps, crossers, melt downs, as well as other behind the back moves and combinations.
- Flow Down Performance Workshop: During this 4 week series, students will have an opportunity to explore their improvisational skills during guided exercises each week where students practice performing in front of each other, get and receive feedback on their experience. Each class will involve homework, mostly focused on the acquisition of music for the next class assignment.
As always, at Temple of Poi we customize the material based on the students attending and work each student to their edge to the best of our ability. Your job is to show up and learn what you can rather than try to learn everything being presented, as we intentionally present more material than the student can achieve in the sessions to help keep their practice moving forward.
All sessions meet at Lines Ballet (26 7th Street, 5th Floor, San Francisco, CA, USA). Monday session are held in Studio 4. Wednesday sessions are held in Studio 2. All sessions are 8-9:20 officially, though we sometimes run till 9:30,
Below is the list of dates and the material being covered that class.
Please note: while the class topic is specific, the content is always based on the attendees in the class so every class is unique. All sessions are designed to be repeated as each session covers different content, expanding comprehension for students.
Follow the links below to see class descriptions and preview videos to give you a deeper sense of the material being covered.
|6.1.15||Funky Foot Flow & Combos|
|7.22.15||Behind the Waist Wrap|
|7.29.15||Behind the Waist Wrap|
|8.5.15||Behind the Waist Wrap|
|8.12.15||Behind the Waist Wrap|
Full Boot Camp: By clicking this link you agree to make 4 payments of $100 regardless of your attendance at each session. The first payment may be made using this link on or before May 4, 2015. The additional 3 payments are due in cash directly to GlitterGirl or through the mail slot at Temple of Poi by the 6/15/15, 7/15/15 and 8/15/15. This payment is non refundable.
Punch Card: By clicking this link you agree to make 4 payments of $50 regardless of your attendance at each of the 10 session. The first payment may be made using this link on or before May 4, 2015. The additional 3 payments are due in cash directly to GlitterGirl or through the mail slot at Temple of Poi by the 6/15/15, 7/15/15 and 8/15/15. This payment is non refundable.
- Students are welcome to bring a video camera to record sessions for personal use only. They may NOT be distributed to others, including your fellow students (without prior authorization of your instructor), in any way, nor posted on the internet or sold.
- You will need to have your own practice poi, or you can purchase a set from us.
- Practice poi, if you need them, are available for $20 cash
- Join our mailing list here and keep up to date on classes, events, performances, jams as well as articles and videos to support your learning.
- Enjoy free lessons at YouTube.com/GlitterGirlPoi.
- Want to teach a friend how to poi? Pass it on — they can get a free download of our 20 minute corkscrew lesson here at GotFireDancing.com.
- Invest in your own video library through our paid for videos in our Beginner Poi Video Lesson Library, Beginner Poi 5.5 Hour Video Course, Intermediate Courses, and Individual Lessons.