Temple of Poi is pleased to announce our re-designed, attend-from-home, poi and flow arts teacher and business training programs. These courses take place over a 7 month period via Goggle Hangouts (Bay Area students may be able to attend in person) so students need not be in San Francisco to get trained. However, all students will need to have a working Internet connection to attend the live trainings via Google Hangouts as well as an HD camera to record the training sessions required to get certified for hours of instruction.
The program is a comprehensive series of sessions focused on developing your skills both as a business person as well as an instructor. Instead of giving you just one weekend of training where students often suffer from information overload, this course is a long term partnership designed to work with you over months to help you integrate the skills through exercises, tools and homework (that should be actual items on your to do list!) given throughout the course. The assignments are creative with a progressive “build on what you’ve done” attitude so that at the end of 8 months you will not only have the teaching skills necessary to run a class, you will also have the business skills necessary to advertise, market and fill the classes as well.
Our training program is divided into three different components as follows:
- Building Your Business: this is a 15 hour training program that assists individuals in understanding the roles they assume as they run a business and responsibilities associated with these roles. Through this program, attendees will better understand marketing, sales, keeping books, contracts, social media, web sites, client management and garner the knowledge necessary to create effective strategies for moving their business forward.
- Flow Instructor Training: this is a 15 hour training program that educates attendees in the art of effective instruction with an emphasis on the somatic based work we do as flow coaches. This is not specifically for any one prop, rather about how to teach effectively working with different learning styles and helping individuals grow from the place at which they meet you rather than demanding they be a certain type of student. The training also focuses on classroom management, student teacher dynamics, structuring the curriculum, trouble shooting errors, working with limiting beliefs, reframing, selling classes and other topics related to working as an instructor.
- Temple of Poi Beginner Poi Certification: Certification requires students to attend both the Building Your Business and Flow Instructor Training courses as well as an additional 70 hours of recorded practice time teaching and a minimum of 10 additional hours in coaching sessions getting feedback toward cultivating improvement in your facilitation skills. Since no two students are alike, additional hours may be added as necessary in order to facilitate the level of efficacy required for certification. Those wishing to be certified will need to organize the 70 hours of training themselves and complete at least half of it with a group (3 or more) of students. Sessions must be recorded and will then be reviewed for feedback as part of the training process. In total, students are expected to have at least 70 hours of applied teaching plus an additional 40-60 hours of training including coaching with GlitterGirl and the other 30 hours from Building Your Business and Flow Instructor Training.
How it Works
This course is designed with an overall arch through time that allows students to apply the information between sessions. There will be one 2 hour Google Hangout lecture session approximately 2 times per month before the festival season and one time a month during. There will then be a Thursday evening work lab session on Facebook with a specific exercise related to the previous lecture. Each lecture and lab session pair is a total of 3 hours and they can each be purchased for $150 including the manuals and materials for that module. Students who wish to attend all the Building Your Business or all the Flow Instructor Training sessions can attend all 15 hours of those sessions for 10% off, reduced from $750 to $675. Students wishing to attend all 10 sessions in both courses receive a 15% discount from $1500 to $1300 for the full training. We will be offering a limited number of scholarship opportunities to students who attend the 2015 Business Ignition Program starting January 19, 2015 so sign up there for your special discount opportunity.
Who should attend?
The Building Your Business course is appropriate for anyone:
- breaking into pro performing
- starting as a pro instructor
- beginning with small business manufacture of tools
- who want a better grasp on how to make their business work
- looking for guided coaching through time collaborating in an educational partnership to assist in implementing the techniques
- looking to refine their business, build their business, explore new marketing tools and understand how to think more like an entrepreneur
- gain practical business advice from a 13 year flow arts professional
- wanting to learn best business practices for our niche market
The Flow Instructor Training program is appropriate for those who want to:
- learn how to teach students more effectively
- gain access to proven curriculum building techniques and structure from which they can teach or create their own programs
- understand how to work with students more effectively
- improve their communication with student’s of all types
- gain valuable resources to increase their visibility in the market
- understand how to earn more income through teaching
- gain knowledge to help improve both their skill as an instructor as well as their reputation
- deepen their understanding of the student teacher relationship
- expand their ability to be in service to clients
- have the tools necessary to start their teaching practice or expand their current practice to comfortably make more money while benefiting both their client and themselves
- cultivate their inner wisdom as an artist and translate that into comprehensive and accessible instruction to students
Who is GlitterGirl and what makes her qualified to teach this?
Before founding Temple of Poi in 2002, GlitterGirl worked in high tech and had several consulting businesses on the side over the years, including a business doing corporate training and education. As an entrepreneur since the age of 16, GlitterGirl has sought to create win-win solutions that empower clients while feeding her pocketbook and more importantly, doing meaningful work that impacts the student’s long term health and well being. After establishing Temple of Poi in 2002 despite the doubt of members in the community who said a fire dancing school had been tried, failed and couldn’t be done, GlitterGirl has continued to pave the way for high quality education worthy of payment. Temple of Poi educators have worked with over 6,000 clients over the years, won 3 Best of the Bay awards, earned a 4.5 start Yelp review and is, to our knowledge, the oldest poi fire dancing academy in the world. As industry leaders, we strive to:
- provide quality education
- produce consistent, positive results
- help all types of students, especially those who need detailed instructions to succeed
- work from a sustainable conscious capitalist (win-win, value-for-value exchange) model
- empower students and instructors to teach themselves through both theoretical and applied knowledge
- deliver material in a fun, friendly, supportive environment
- generate community through the classroom
- foster mutual support in the classroom and community
- make it possible for the Flowology Mindset to become a life practice rather than a practice with props
Since our inception in 2002, our goal has been to share our best practices with the community around us and toward that end, we’ve developed our teacher and business training courses to reduce the learning curve and assist flowpreneurs in achieving better financial results in less time through quality education. In the past, we offered these sessions as a weekend long intensive at Temple of Poi headquarters in San Francisco. While these worked well and we got rave reviews, what we found was that our students really would benefit more from ongoing training where the information is delivered in smaller amounts at a time that can be acted upon before the new material is taught.
Toward that end, we have redesigned our training program to be accessible from around the world via the internet (or live at Temple of Poi) as an ongoing 8 month course where students work in 10 2 hour lectures and 10 1 hour working sessions with home work in between sessions. This program offers coaching through time in a partnership that will support your business growth directly.
Our new certification program will require an additional 80 hours of training minimum in addition to the 30 hour course. Training will be done by the artists on their own time and video taped and these videos will then be reviewed by GlitterGirl with the certifying instructor in batches to offer feedback for improvement for the future, an invaluable way to improve the learning curve for instructors. This investment in your future as a flowpreneur will pay for itself as you begin to hone your skills, implement sales and marketing strategies and understand your offering more deeply. This in turn will allow you to craft your classes more effectively, retain more clients, have a growing client base and subsequently earn you more money.
New: In honor of our 13 year anniversary at Temple of Poi, we’re offering a 50% off opportunity for you to study with a buddy!
Inquire with GlitterGirl about scholarship opportunities.
All payments are non refundable.
|Building Your Business||3/8/15||1: Understanding Your Business||3/12/15||$150|
|Flow Instructor Training||3/29/15||A: Student Teacher Dynamics||4/2/15||$150|
|Building Your Business||4/5/15||2: Sales||4/9/15||$150|
|Flow Instructor Training||4/19/15||B: Learning Styles||4/23/15||$150|
|Building Your Business||5/3/15||3: Marketing||5/7/15||$150|
|Flow Instructor Training||5/17/15||C: Class Room Management||5/21/15||$150|
|Building Your Business||6/7/15||4: Social Media||6/11/15||$150|
|Flow Instructor Training||6/21/15||D: Trouble Shooting||6/25/15||$150|
|Building Your Business||7/12/15||5: Client Management & Mindsets for Success||7/16/15||$150|
|Flow Instructor Training||7/19/15||E: Selling Classes||7/23/15||$150|
|Building Your Business||all 5||Modules 1-5, free 20 minute private coaching session||all 5||$675||
|Building Your Business||all 5||13 year discount opportunity: 2 for one, study with a buddy good for 2 people to attend: Modules 1-5, free 20 minute private coaching session each||all 5 for 2 people||$750||
|Flow Instructor Training||all 5||Modules A-E, free 20 minute private coaching session||all 5||$675||
|Flow Instructor Training||all 5||13 year discount opportunity: 2 for one, study with a buddy good for 2 people to attend: Modules A-E, free 20 minute private coaching session each||all 5 for 2 people||$750||
|Building Your Business & Flow Instructor Training||all 10||Modules A-E & 1-5, 3 free 20 minute private coaching sessions||all 10||$1300||
|Building Your Business & Flow Instructor Training||all 10||13 year discount opportunity: 2 for one, study with a buddy good for 2 people to attend: Modules A-E & 1-5, 4 free 20 minute private coaching sessions||all 10 for 2 people||$1500||
*Payment Plan A: $175 Deposit; $100 per month due on or before the 15th of April – August 2015, inclusive; all payments are non refundable; all tuition is due regardless of your attendance in the class.
**Payment Plan B: $300 down; $200 per month due on or before the 15th of April – August 2015, inclusive; all payments are non refundable; all tuition is due regardless of your attendance in the class.
***Payment Plan C: Good for access for 2 people to the training program, 2 20 minute private sessions for each attendee: $150 down; $150 per month due on or before the 15th of April – December 2015, inclusive; all payments are non refundable; all tuition is due regardless of your attendance in the class.
****Payment Plan D: Good for access for 2 people to the training program, 1 20 minute private for each attendee: $100 deposit; $100 per month due on or before the 15th of April-September 2015 + $50 on or before 15 October; all payments are non refundable; all tuition is due regardless of your attendance in the class.
Pass it on!
Receive $100 discount off your full priced tuition or $50 off your study with a buddy tuition when a friend signs up and says you referred them!!