During this four-week series, we’ll focus on 180º and 360º turns between moves, enhance existing turning skills and learn new turn combinations. This series also has students explore the concept of plane shifting through axis rotation as a means to create a more dimensional performance.
This series is less about learning new concepts and mores about learning how to turn with the moves you already utilize. These 4 weeks focus on the motion layer of the 7 layer dip, assisting you in using more stage space and moving out of the fixed position poi artists can find themselves in when simply executing moves consecutively. Through a series of games and exercises, students will explore movement through space and turning with moves they already know while learning a few more fun ones that impress the crowd.
These techniques combine to create spinning “Out of the Box”: the process of moving the relative positions of the “box” (front, back, floor, ceiling and side planes) to different locations in relation to the fixed environment in which artists are performing — all while flowing between moves.
Out of the Box concepts are explored using:
- hip reels – same and split directions
- pinwheels – same and split direction
- weaves – same direction
- butterfly turnarounds
- thread the needle turnarounds
- sweep circle turns
- under leg moves
- hip/pin-reel combos
- lockout turnarounds
- flat plane buzzsaw/corkscrew turns
- 2 petal flower turns
- pendulum turns
- Giant turns
- and more!
Here’s a preview of some of the patterns that will be used in this series.
This is a series and some material will build from week to week. Please check with GlitterGirl if you wish to drop in to classes 3 or 4 without prior attendance. This session will run 8 pm Wednesdays February 2, 9, 23 and March 2 at Lines Ballet (26 7th Street, 5th floor, studio 2). Tuition is one of the following:
- $30 cash at the door per night drop-in if space allows or
- 1 intermediate credit on the beginner boot camp package for each night attended or
- $100 total for all 4 classes in the series
- best value: pay $16.34 a session when you join the Spring 2015 Intermediate/Advanced Poi Boot Camp
Reserve my spot!
Provide your $30 deposit (non refundable but transferrable with 8 days notice) to reserve your spot for part of the series. Balance due for additional sessions ($30 each) at the door each night in cash, exact change preferred.
Register for this series starting March 18, 2015 and pay $25 for the class, $100 total.
By clicking this link you agree to make 4 payments of $80 regardless of your attendance at each session. The first payment may be made using this link on or before January 15, 2015. The additional 3 payments are due in cash directly to GlitterGirl or through the mail slot at Temple of Poi by the 2/15/15, 3/15/15 and 4/15/15. This payment is non refundable.
Some scholarships available, though students seeking scholarship are strongly encouraged to consider our Spring 2015 Intermediate/Advanced Boot Camp Program as that is below our scholarship rate. Please inquire with GlitterGirl directly (GlitterGirl <that fancy little at symbol> TempleOfPoi <daaaaaaauuuuuught> com) for details.
This class is loads of fun and is highly recommended for advanced beginner through advanced students who want to add more depth to their opposite direction skills and add some fun combinations to their repertoire.
As a reminder, this and all classes at Temple of Poi are taught with the Flowology Mindset practiced rigorously.
- Students are encouraged to bring a video camera to record during the note taking portion of each class to create video notes for personal use only. They may NOT be distributed to others, including your fellow students (without prior authorization of your instructor), in any way, nor posted on the internet nor sold.
- You will need to have your own practice poi, or you can purchase a set from us.
- Practice poi, if you need them, are available for $40 cash made by GlitterNova.
- Join our mailing list here and keep up to date on classes, events, performances, jams as well as articles and videos to support your learning.
- Enjoy free lessons at YouTube.com/GlitterGirlPoi.
- Want to teach a friend how to poi? Pass it on — they can get a free download of our 20 minute corkscrew lesson here at GotFireDancing.com.
- Invest in your own video library through our paid for videos in our Beginner Poi Video Lesson Library, Beginner Poi 5.5 Hour Video Course, Intermediate Courses, and Individual Lessons.