Forget the adage, “Don’t play with fire!” and join us for this class series which will initiate you into the wonders of poi, without the risk of fire, to see if this is something you want to ignite your spirit with more regularly.
This class is appropriate for those with absolutely no experience through early beginners with a few moves but not a lot of vocabulary, comprehension, technique and confidence. If you have no experience, this class is for you. If you have limited experience then this class is probably for you — contact GlitterGirl (glittergirl [at] templeofpoi [daught] com) to set up your free assessment to see where you fit in our curriculum. Each of the classes meets for 80 minutes, one time per week.
- Time/Dates: 8 -9:20 PM: 10/29, 11/5, 11/12, 11/19, (skips 11/26) 12/03 & 12/10
- Location: Temple of Poi, 953 Mission Street, Suite 11, between 5th and 6th on Mission, San Francisco, CA, USA
Each class is divided into the following class structure:
- 25 min: warm ups, practice, performance, drills, review
- 50 min: new move clinic, individual work, drills, practice
- 5 min: homework assignments, review, cool down
This course provides instruction for the beginner poi dancers. During each class, new concepts will be introduced in the “new move clinic” which are then reinforced during the remainder of the class. The first two classes focus on the fundamentals of poi movement. The next four classes cover the chasing the sun, stalls, corkscrew, pinwheel, butterfly and weave moves as well as extensive variations of these moves. All moves are taught in both directions for maximum learning. To assist your learning process, you can purchase our computer based training material. For those who know they are committed to a poi practice, consider joining the Temple of Poi Beginner Poi Boot Camp program which offers a 20% discount on 7 months worth of classes. Additional Information
- Students are welcome to bring a video camera to record sessions for personal use only. They may NOT be distributed to others, including your fellow students, in any way, nor posted on the internet or sold.
- You will need to have your own practice poi, or you can purchase a set from us.
- Tuition for this class is $180.
- Practice poi are $30 – $40, depending on style.
- Payment plans are available so please inquire with us directly (email glittergirl ; templeofpoi ; com)
- Join our mailing list here and keep up to date on classes, events, performances, jams as well as articles and videos to support your learning.
- Support your learning through free and paid for videos in our Beginner Poi Video Library.
Register here with your non refundable $80 deposit and bring the balance of $100 in CASH the first day of class. Also bring cash if you wish to purchase poi ($30).
This section is sold out. Please try our November 11, 2013 session instead.